operator licences

Operator Licences


Obtaining a Drivers Abstract (Info)

Changing your address (Info)

ID & Residency Requirements (Info)

Exchanging a Licence from Outside Alberta (Info)

ID Card (Info)

All Acts & Regulations Can Be Found at Alberta Queen’s Printer (Available Here)


Required Forms

Information Sheet – Read First

In Person ($27.60) – Consent Form AND Statement of Intent

Via Mail ($37.05) – Request For Personal Driving and Motor Vehicle Information


NOTE: Knowledge Tests are available up to 45 minutes prior to closing time.
Knowledge Manuals are available on the GOA Website

Please review ID/Residency Requirements prior to arrival at the office.

Road testing can be booked online, in person or by phone and
must be booked at the office that you wish to take your exam.

Knowledge Examination (Info)

Operator Medical (Forms) *you need to scroll down to see the form once you click the link.

Motor Vehicles Sylvan Lake Registries provides:

  • Operator Licencing 
  • Oral Knowledge Test/Learners Tests 
  • Licence Testing 
  • Licence Renewals 
  • Fine Payments 
  • Licence Replacement 
  • Licence Reinstatement 
  • Reclassification of Operators Licence 
  • Identification Card Information 
  • 3/5/10 Year Driver Abstracts 
  • Disabled Placards 
  • Change of Address 
  • Out of Province Driver's Licence Exchange  
  • All Commercial Registration - Rentals, Farm,  Dealer, Trailer, Recreational 
  • Motorcycle Registration 
  • Antique Plate Registration 
  • Transfer Registration 
  • Licence Plate Replacement 
  • Intransit Permits 
  • Off Road Vehicles 
  • Personalized Plates 
  • Registration Cancellations 
  • Out of Province / Write Off Request Forms 
  • Searches (Vehicle Info Report) 
  • Motor Vehicle Licence Plates Renewal 

We can renew any Alberta Motor Vehicle Licence Plate. To do so you must present the licence plate number, year, make, model, and serial number of the vehicle, as well as all insurance information. Visit our office to pick up your new registration and year stickers. Please allow sufficient time before the plate expiry.Renewals that have fines cannot be processed until the fines have been paid. Various Motor Vehicles service request forms are available through our Downloadable Forms mean at the top of the page.Vehicle Searches: There are two reports that can be requested through a Vehicle Search Request:

  • A Lien Search will disclose whether there are any liens registered against the vehicle in Alberta, as well as who holds those liens. It will also tell the year, make and model of the vehicle. 
  • A Vehicle Information Report (VIR) tells you the year, make, model, body style, colour, fuel type and vehicle status. Registration data is available from December 1993 onward and includes a maximum of the last seven registrations. This shows date and locality where registered, and plate classification. A VIR includes the number of liens against a vehicle, but does not identify the holder of any lien or previous owners of a vehicle.